Friday 19 December 2014

Word of Inspiration Wednesday: COLD

This is my latest page for WOIW in the Kraafters Kommunity on Google +. I needed a larger surface than my journal, so I used a separate sheet of 300 gsm watercolour paper. When painting portraits, you really need good quality paper. Much as I love the craft card in my WOIW journal, it wouldn't have been able to handle this project.

The inspirational word this week is COLD. When I saw this, I immediately thought of Disney's Frozen, so I decided to draw Elsa and use a quote from the theme song of the film:

"Let the storm rage on, the cold never bothered me anyway"

There's an excellent tutorial on YouTube, which shows you how to draw Elsa. You can find it here. I first sketched the outline of her and then spent half a day shading it. I'm not kidding - there's at least ten layers of crayons, pencils and acrylics on her face. It's still not perfect but compared to some of the faces I did when I first started out a few months ago, it's incomparable. My son saw me work on this project and commented that she looked like Elsa from Frozen, without knowing that I was trying to draw her. The biggest compliment ever!

Once Elsa was done, I shaded the background with crayons and acrylics, which was a whole lot easier and faster! I printed out her castle and incorporated it in the page. I'm note sure if this works - I'm not too keen on the overall composition. I printed the lyrics using a free font called GF Ordnel, which I really like. It looks a bit like it was printed with a label maker. I framed the word tiles using white acrylic paint. It doesn't show in the photos, but the blue snowflakes are covered in mica powder and shimmer if you look at them from certain angles. I used Lumiere paints for Elsa's eyes, which also shimmer in the light. 

Here's my completed project with some close-up photos as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.